View Single Post
Old 07-14-21, 01:04 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Generally once the floor is gone, it's gone as the PU coating has failed. Waterproofing coatings won't do anything to fix it, they just make the fibres water repellent. That works on flies because it then runs off. On a floor it gets forced through by pressure when you move around.
With any waterproofing coating things need to be clean and residue free. I use Tech Wash on anything I re -proof then rinse real well.
from what i'm reading, you can restore the PU coating, though. gear aid has a PU product. you just have to clean off the old coating in order for it to work. but, that's just what i've read. have you tried restoring a tent before? is the tech wash a DWR? i know just applying a DWR won't do the trick. iirc, that's all did before thinking that would work, but...again...it didn't