View Single Post
Old 02-12-24, 08:41 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Velocity Dyad - Experience

I have posted a few questions to help me out with my AC Mr. Pink Build. I have accumulated most of the parts now and the build should be underway by the end of February. Which brings me to my next question. The frame will take 700c x 30 tires - pretty good for a classic steel road bike frame running rim brakes. I have 28mm Panaracer Gravel Kings on hand.

Most of my components are black: handlebars, stem, headset, brakes, crankset - black is just so much easier to get today (but silver would have looked amazing). Since I am 215lb I need at a minimum a 32h wheelset. I am thinking of Shimano 105 hubs (I just ordered a set of thin metric wrenches off amazon warehouse and a vice for my vice) so I should be able to service them myself. I have looked at Archetype (i have a set already) which have been very good, Velocity A23s, or Velocity Dyads. I likely will not ever go to tubeless on road - been there done that - not interested in going back anytime soon. Gravel bike tubeless with 40+ yes indeed.

I realize that a light Dyad build will probably be around 2000g - 105 hubs 36 db spokes. Which is a bit on the heavy side the Archetypes in 32h would probably be 1850g. But I like the fact that there is a v shape but at 22mm it is fairly low profile but the 18.6 internal width should allow my 28mm tire to actually reach 28mm if not 29mm and have a good handling profile. The black rim with the silver non-machined brake track should help the wheelset tie to the mostly black components with silver accents. USA made is a bonus. The research on the internet is generally positive about the Dyads.

Does anyone have much road riding experience with the Dyads? What is the ride quality like (with db spokes)? For non-welded rims how would you rate the rim quality?
Any other thoughts on these rims would be welcome.