View Single Post
Old 05-17-19, 02:39 AM
Rooni

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Early on, you may want to do some really basic "get to know the track" drills where you put on a warmup gear and simply do things like:

- Ride 10 laps in the Sprinter's lane
- Ride 10 laps on the Stayer's line
- Ride 10 laps at the Rails/Boards
- (f the track is relatively empty) Safely and gently swerve back and forth. This trains the brain about the curves.
- No max speed efforts (to save energy for more reps)...OK maybe a couple, but remember the objective for the day.
- Ride in a paceline with others taking pulls (if they aren't elite fast).
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. I'd rather a rider ask me what he thinks is a stupid question (there are none) than have him pull an actually stupid maneuver
I went to an open drop in session at the track this week and tried all of the above. Starting with the 30 laps on varying lines was definitely a good warm up and also got me much more comfortable on the track so thank you. I also practiced riding standing up and accelerating standing up as this is something I need to improve on, especially in a wind up. I would accelerate standing up on the home straight as if about to doing a flying 200 and then recover for 3 laps and repeat all again.

I think I will do a couple more of these sessions before going back to the specific sprint sessions.