Old 07-20-21, 05:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
I have never flown with a bike on United, I think they still charge an oversize fee.

Last time I flew Southwest, two checked bags were free but they had an oversize fee but the oversize fee was more affordable than the other airlines. I avoided the oversize fee with my folding bike in an S&S case so I do not recall what the fee was. This was the only time that my bike flew for zero cost.

My last flight with a bike was on Air Canada, I do not recall the oversize fee but I remember thinking it was quite reasonable as fees go. I paid for two regular checked bags, one was my S&S case so I avoided the oversize fee.

My only flights with Delta and a bike were international, their fee schedule is quite different than domestic travel. And I have not flown with them since they canceled their oversize fees for bikes.

Originally Posted by BobG
Perhaps times and prices have changed but in 2009 I flew from Eugene > Portland > Atlanta > Newport News VA with my bike in a big airline provided box along with a BOB trailer (parts inside the bag) for a $50 baggage fee + $20 for the box. I boarded Alaska Airlines in Eugene OR and checked the items at their rate and flew the short hop to Portland. There I transferred to Delta for flights to GA and VA. The initial $50 covered all connecting flights!
Yeah, times have changed.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
I think things have changed for the better since you have been flying. I believe both delta and america dropped their domestic bicycle fees to zero. United is one of the few that still had a big fee last time I checked. I personally try to boycott airlines with bike hostile policies if at all possible whether flying with a bike or not.
To clarify what you are saying and to avoid confusion, Delta and American canceled their oversize fees for bikes (and as far as I know have not re-instated the fees), but still charge for the bike box at a standard piece of luggage rate. Some people could read what you said and think that the bike flies for free.