View Single Post
Old 05-25-21, 11:09 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 1,064 Posts
NOTE ON GENERIC METFORMIN:

I have had many patients that could not stomach Generic Metformin of any kind; yet when switched over to Brand Name Glucophage had no problems. The only commonality that I have witnessed is the smell of the Metformin when you open the bottle. They state when it smells kinda fishy they have a problem with it. Often the generic metformin smells fishy straight from the pharmacy, and a few patients have taken the bottles back, shown the pharmacist and have been reimbursed. There are a few others that the smell is intermittent. That is there are days when thier metformin smells bad and other days that the same bottle dose not. One thing that does persist is that when the metformin smells bad bloating and nausea follow. I have searched this side effect in the medical literature and although mentioned it is not labelled as significant. Also remember that metformin is excreted through the kidneys unchanged so hydration is an absolute must. Another thing to remember is that metformin helps insulin get in and out of your cells and effects the liver telling it to not make extra sugar when not needed.

I am only mentioning it here for you'se guys to have another tid-bit of information for that useless sheet file in the back of your brains... Ha

As to the OP... BRAVO... Tomm has found a way to ride without damage or danger... FANTASTIC!

Edit 2021-05-26: Was talking to other providers this AM about this thread. One of the Docs noted... Type2 Diabetic that's an athlete... Now that's rare... Ha

Last edited by zandoval; 05-26-21 at 11:33 AM.