Old 01-02-19, 03:36 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I agree.

Even when I was training as a bodybuilder, I couldn't do pull ups ... IMO, that's a silly measurement.

I can cycle long distances, run reasonable distances, row, cross-country ski, snowshoe, hike up mountains, canoe, lift weights, do yoga, but because I can't do pull ups, I'm not physically fit??

Physical fitness is made up of 4 main components: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, and flexibility.

I'm probably weakest in the "flexibility" category, but I do work on that from time to time.

I also think that there's an element of practicality that has to be considered. Can I do the things I want to do with my level of fitness? If not, then something needs to improve.

So for me, one of the things I need to do on a fairly regular basis is to walk longish distances carrying a moderately heavy backpack. It's a transportation necessity for me and I can do that. So in that regard, I'm fit enough for my practical purposes.
I think you and others touch on something that I see in my work with the elderly. Almost all older people of the war/post war generation did not go to a gym or even perform athletics but those that "age" well physically seem to have had active lives in the form of moderate workload like farming and/or lots of walking. The worst are those that worked and then do nothing upon retirement, having earned a long desired rest. The mind that accepts regular exertion as normal seems to be more fit long term. I would say fitness is far easier to achieve (and more beneficial long term) if it is the result of overall active lifestyles rather than sedentary lives interposed with activity on a gym.

I'm fairy lucky ATM to be able to bike commute once again to work (after a few years of car commuting 2 hours each day) and walk a lot as part of my job. This helps a great deal as far as basic training goes so that I can jump into activities at a more advanced level rather than having to work up from an entry level of fitness. The more I can jump into activities, the more activities I do. It's a self fulfilling cycle of fitness that is a pleasure to experience once it happens. The world of physical experiences opens up because I am basically capable of doing them moderately. From there I choose which I really enjoy and work further on.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-02-19 at 03:39 PM.