View Single Post
Old 02-04-23, 04:55 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Campagnerdo
Scared and confused is expected. Your first Campagnolo part is analogous to your first exposure to heroin. You may find that you have uncontrollable urges for more. A thirst that becomes insatiable. Your hoard grows, as you commit more and more of your budget to this pursuit. Common symptoms include losing track of time dedicated to the chase, n+1 syndrome, and social changes. When you hit rock bottom, and in a moment of clarity, look at the stash that you have accumulated, you may be astonished at how you arrived there. Some attempt to right their collective ship at that point, but few succeed, and for them, relapses are common. Others attempt to just manage the affliction. Still others fully surrender to it. I am pleased that you recognize this moment with the reverence that it demands.
Username checks out.

Actually, what's funny is that I think my very first Campy part was a set of wheels with either Chorus or Record hubs. And I put it on a Miyata. Single speed. Lol...quite the sacrilege. I don't think I owned another Campy part until I got my beat up Gitan TdF (like 10 years later) and it actually had a set of tubbys laced to some very nice Campy hubs, and they spin remarkably well. Now I've got the Trek 957 with full Campy Super Record. I still think I'm going to build up my junk Paramount frame with Tourney instead of Campy just to have fun and mess with the grouches...can't take life too seriously, ya know.

Some Campy stuff is great. I hear the Valentino is really where it's at, though. If you are going friction, Suntour FTW...except their unobtanium tension springs.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 02-04-23 at 05:03 PM.