View Single Post
Old 01-08-07, 03:53 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did recently ride a Giant Suede, so can say something about them.

The Suede positions the crank / bottom bracket only about 3" forward of the bottom of the seat tube, so it does not have as strong a crank forward riding position or sensation. It feels more like a very comfortable hybrid. The Suede I rode was a 2006 model and it had a pretty basic hybrid-type seat. The 2007 models appear to have a saddle-type seat, more like what Trek now offers on the Pure. I find this type of seat to be more comfortable on a crank-forward bike, as much more of your weight is on the seat.

The Suede felt like a faster bike, due to it being less laid-back and having 1.75" tires (on the DX model). It has a front suspension, which I'm not sure is needed on a bike where most of your weight is on the back wheel. It was easy to stand up and pedal. It was a different riding experience than the Gruv, which has the bottom bracket placed about 3" further from the seat tube, giving it a much more semi-recumbent ride.

My take is that if one is looking for something that is much like a hybrid but a bit more relaxed, then the Suede is a good option. The price is pretty good given that it uses a non-traditional frame. I know of people who take these on 40-50 mile rides.

If you looking for a nice multi-speed cruiser-type bike, with good looks and a comfortable ride, then the Trek Pure is worth checking out. With options ranging from a stripped down, non-suspension 7-speed, to a suspension 3-speed, to a suspension 21-speed, in both men's and women's frames, it hits a lot of bases. Several color options too.

And if you want to try a nice, no-frills semi-recumbent at a low price, the Gruv is a very good deal. The more I look around, the more I lament that the Gruv has been discontinued. Both of my local Raleigh shops offer the 7-speed for under $290. In an area that is flat or with rolling hills it would be a nice bike to take out for a 5-10 mile ride (you could ride it much further but it impresses me as a design that is very good for a comfortable, moderate-length ride).

None of these are performance bikes, a la Rans.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 01-08-07 at 07:46 PM.