Old 05-24-21, 01:40 PM
kolt54321

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@kolt54321 - Nice bike that looks like from the early 70's. French so the parts are French dimensions and not compatible with English or Italian. Need a knowledgeable LBS to work on it.

Fit is everything and it is hard to tell if it is too big or not. Measure from the center of the crank to the intersection of the center of the seat tube and top tube. I would not be surprised if it measures around 56cm.
My 1972 Motobecane Le Champion 24in or about 61cm
1972 Motobecane Le Champion 24" on Flickr
Note the length of the head tube and the distance between the top tube and downtube. Yours is quite a bit less.

My inseam is about 32 inches from bare foot on the floor to the crotch bone. The old school way is to straddle the top tube with riding shoes on and lift the bike by the saddle and handlebars. It should move about 1/2 to 1 inch. This was done to keep from getting pains in that region.
When you sit upright on a bike you are on the seat. When you are leaning forward on a typical drop bar road bike, you are on the saddle. The saddle mounts to either a post or pillar. It height should be as stated above, knee slightly bent with the pedal at the most distant from the saddle.

WRT handbag position. There are two, height and how far from the saddle. I am over 71 and ride my bikes with 2-3 inch drop of the stem from the saddle. My starting point for the stem length is when my hands are in the position on the handlebars, either in front of the brakes or on the hoods, the front hub is "hidden" by the bar. That gets me really close to the right position. if you have a strong core, you should be able to take your hands off the handlebars and not move your upper body. keep in mind there are three points of contact with the bike, hand, bottom and feet. They should be in balance.

WRT the hoods, you brake levers never had them and there aren't any to be had as you also have the levers that extend to the center of the handlebar. Those brake bases are not comfortable to use in riding "on the hood" position. That is one part you can replace without too much searching as it is not a unique French dimension.

The more you ride the more comfortable you will become, up or downhill. "just do it."
Thanks! And nice ride - it looks beautiful.

I've been procrastinating fitting it but I really should. When I measured from mid-crank to the beginning of the seat tube, it came to 21 inches (~53.3 cm) on the dot.

I need to give it another go, but I think my main issue is that the top tube is much shorter than on my Trek. In other words, the distance between the seat/saddle and the handlebars is short, fatiguing my hands as I continuously need to bear my own weight. It's possible this is the case with all roadbikes, but is certainly a departure from the hybrid I'm used to riding on - even though the measurement from crank to seatpost is shorter by at least half an inch, the bike "feels" a lot larger.