Old 01-25-22, 01:28 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
The roads here are generally paved (a few dirt ones are left), but the main problem is we get these horizontal cracks that run the width of the road and that gradually grow more and more open as time passes. There are two ways they mainly are addressed - "crack and chip seal", which is where they put down oil and loose stone, which then gets driven over and packed into the cracks and holes; and oil/tar sealing, which is where they try to fill the crack with what is the equivalent of road caulk.

So the Col de la Vie tires, I've found, handle that kind of situation pretty well. They soak up the bumps and cracks pretty well for me. What they don't like are little shards of glass that get grabbed by the tread and work their way in. The one flat I've had was exactly that - little bit of glass from a broken bottle that got into the tread and caused a slow leak. The Col de la Vie tires are awesome when they do the loose stone and oil treatment because they're very sure-footed compared to a Kenda or Duro tire. The Schwalbes also handle it pretty well.