Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
FWIW, here is the latest of my hip. The diagnosis was gluteus medius syndrome tendonitis. The treatment is physical therapy and 'dry needling' which is mechanically similar to accupuncture but the goal is to mechanically stimulate the inflamed area which promotes healing. The first 10 days was just stretching and dry needling (which is vaguely uncomfortable but not really a big deal). Not much came of that so we proceeded to add strength stuff which was an absolute disaster.

I could not do the 'wobble board' unless my body was perfectly upright (too much pain in the hip otherwise). Then I did a few resistance band things where you (against band resistance) move your left leg directly to your left while standing on the right (then repeat on the other side). Really light resistance and I could not proceed after one easy set. And ever since then my left hip has gone from keeping me from doing a few things (like golf or mopping the floor) but otherwise just being a minor irritation, to now being a big deal where (sometimes yes, sometimes no) even the simplest things are REALLY difficult. On 3 separate occasions (2 of them on getting out of bed) I had to get onto the floor and do some stretches just to be able to walk. Other times I am pain free but never know what is going to trigger a big problem.

So I am now back in the queue waiting to see the doc again (and physical therapy agreed that this was proper in my case). I am not sure what is next.

Still bike rides are consistently therapeutic (although my PT is suspicious about it being a causal issue here).

dave
Since the PT made it worse, my guess is that there a tear at an attachment point and the diagnosis is incorrect. One thing you can try while waiting is taking 600mg ibuprofen every 6 hours for a few days. No harm in it. After you quit if the pain is much, much less and doesn't come roaring back, perhaps the tendonitis diagnosis is correct. It's interesting the stretches help, though. It's also interesting that I don't see any tendons involved with the gluteus medius. Pain in the hip could be a lot of things - it's a large area. Can you walk? If you walk, where does it hurt, or does it not hurt? Some reading:
https://health.ucsd.edu/specialties/...-bursitis.aspx
https://www.americanhipinstitute.org...dius-tear.html