View Single Post
Old 03-31-22, 05:18 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
Prostatitis, OMG!

Back in January I had what I and my doctor thought was a case of the flu along with a UTI, urinalysis negative, it came back in February, and now has become acute prostatitis. I was back with my PC doc on March 21st, with the same symptoms, but this time much more painful and the urinalysis was positive for bacteria, e coli, and blood. I was put on an antibiotic and a med to help control the abdominal spasms and pain. the diagnosis also included the possibility of trying to pass a kidney stone. I also had a fever that was spiking and dropping. That night, Friday the 21st, the pain got to be excruciating and I could not pass urine. I went to a new ER center that is only 2 miles from my home. They did some diagnostics and blood work, my bladder was full to capacity but could not drain. They inserted a catheter to allow the bladder to empty, hooked me up to an IV to keep me hydrated, and also administered a mild sedative and a stronger antibiotic.
I did get immediate relief from the bladder emptying, but I was still very uncomfortable with abdominal bloating. I had a script for the Cipro, antibiotic, called in and was instructed to use OTC laxatives. Over the weekend, I had some relief from the pain and the fever, but Monday morning my temp spiked back up to 102 and I had a lot of pain in my lower back, and back to the ER I went. They were concerned about the fever returning. A cat scan was performed and it showed my prostate was very inflamed and in bad shape. The Cipro that had been called in was not able to be filled by my regular drug store, so the script was called into a different local store. I was
also instructed to follow up with my PC and a urologist. I still had the catheter, and still do, but my bowels were still backed up and I felt terrible. I guess it was the next day I finally was able to empty the bowels, what a relief. Over the course of the next week, the symptoms and the pain were significantly reduced. I now am almost pain free and the bowels are working properly. I have an appointment with a urologist, but can not get in to see them until 4/6. I have not had a temperature spike that I am aware of, but I still have soaking night sweats .
I have had a lot of spinal issues with numerous surgeries, but the pain from the prostatitis in the worst I have ever experienced. The catheter bag needs to be emptied every 2 hours or so, but that is a whole lot better than the excruciating pain I was dealing with. At this point, I am just hanging in waiting to see the urologist and getting bored and frustrated with laying around doing nothing. I have not been on a bike in 2 weeks, and do not know when I will be able to ride again. I am now able to be more active, but I have to limit what I do and how long I do it. I did some work on bike a couple of days ago, nothing major, just flipping mustache bars to having a rise instead of a drop, which included redoing the brake levers, bar end shifters and bar tape. That wore me out.
I guess the main reason for this post is to relay my experience to others, and state that if you are having issues with these kind of symptoms, do not wait to get it checked out. If what the the doctor told you to do is not working, let them know so the treatment can be adjusted to something that will work. I will not be surprised if I am told the prostate needs to be removed. I sure do not want to go through this again. I have had a couple of weeks that were pure misery that I would not wish on anybody.
I just want to get back to where I can take care of myself in a normal fashion, and get back on a bicycle. I have always been quite thin, but I have lost 15 lbs. and I know my fitness level has dropped considerably. I am going to have to ease back into the biking miles and time, and at 69, realize I may not get back to the same level as before this struggle. I am ok with that, I had already started to slow down anyway. The plus to this? It could be a whole lot worse.

Last edited by delbiker1; 03-31-22 at 05:22 AM. Reason: grammar