View Single Post
Old 06-18-22, 02:37 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by CyFan
I mix anaerobic and aerobic efforts when cycling for body fat reduction...which is the real measure of fitness. Anaerobic efforts (cadence at 80 or below) build muscle mass which in turn raises your caloric needs to maintain your body weight. Aerobic efforts (cadence at 90 plus) go straight to burning fat, if you keep your heart rate at 80% of your max. Eating and drinking reasonably are, of course, a common sense compliment to maximize your gains. I also do some anaerobic upper body training for increased muscle mass, nothing too heavy. If you build a calorie burning machine (muscle mass) the rest kind of takes care of itself. YMMV.
agree

when I was in shape (much too long ago) - I mixed anaerobic with aerobic

strength training can build the muscles that consume the calories

this will also prevent 'yo-yo' weight loss - which can provide short term gains but at times disappointing long term results

some state strength training is one of the closest things to the 'fountain of youth' - helps to create growth hormone (which drops off significantly as you grow older) ... I have not researched or confirmed - but sounded good to me lol

one of the things about biking is it targets and builds one of the largest muscle groups in your body - the quads - and well built quads will then consume additional calories

and with biking you can target 'LSD' exercise - Long Slow Distance - which can assist your body to recruit / use / burn fat stores - as opposed to higher intensity / short exercises which will burn glycogen (or whatever) stores

Last edited by t2p; 06-18-22 at 02:41 PM.