Old 07-18-22, 02:23 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'm trying to keep everybody on the same page, reality. These two quotes contradict each other, and can't both be true. The second one is true. I'm taking the time and effort to point this out because I don't want anyone making decisions about their health and fitness based on inaccurate data.

accuracy: Is the measurement reflecting the true value of the parameter.
precision: Does the measurement give high repeatability within a small window of uncertainty.

If I measure something, let's say mass, and I always get the same result within a small window, say, 153.56±0.01 grams, then I have a precise measurement. It may not be at all accurate - the true mass could be 159 grams. If I use a different balance and I get masses that vary from measurement to measurement, but centered about the true mean, say 158.5±1.5 grams, then the second balance is more accurate but less precise.

So the measurement in question, % body fat, appears to be fairly precise, without any constraints on accuracy.

Had ​​​​terrymorse written in his first post

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Fortunately, there's a fairly PRECISE way to identify what type of weight loss one is losing. I use a Health Mate scale that measures the conductivity of your body to estimate body fat and lean body mass. Here's the report from Apple Health app:
then it would have been all good.

Last edited by MinnMan; 07-18-22 at 02:30 PM.