terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
If you've never encountered even an ounce of brake fade on carbon rims, you're not actually doing very sketchy descents.
The other possibility is that you do ride "sketchy" descents, and you have adequate braking skills (and decent brake pads).

definitely avoid latex tubes with rim brakes.
Why? I have been using latex tubes for years, with rim brakes. Zero issues. Then there are the decades of pro cyclists on tubular tires with latex tubes and rim brakes. They seemed to descend just fine.

Plus, a tube is more likely to handle overpressure from heat than a tubeless setup.
Explain how you think a tube helps reduce the chance that a tire will blow off the rim hook from overpressure.

EDIT: I should say that I've been using carbon rims for the last 3 years in the hills of california. Most descents are ez, no stress whatsoever. Some, like mt. Umunhum or metcalf road (sustained -10%, hard turns) require me to be very mindful about how I brake. But I'm a very confident descender, and I still face a good deal of brake fade. I'm probably not really close to my rims exploding, but it's unpleasant. I have yet to attempt quimby road on these wheels for that reason (bumpy, technical, -13% for a mile).
It's worth mentioning that many of us have been descending these Bay Area roads you mention for many years (except Mt. Umunhum, which was closed until recently), with rim brakes and latex tubes. And decades before that, many of us rode them on tubulars with latex tubes.

Last edited by terrymorse; 08-13-22 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For terrymorse: