View Single Post
Old 08-23-22, 05:06 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
the funny thing throughout all of this is that all of us chiming in here actually have substantial real life experience riding loaded in mountains, mr gas on a tandem to boot.

we all have figured out how to manage our braking, within what is comfortable for each of us vis a vis speed, cornering and judging each specific situation.

In my case, from my past motorcycle paved circuit racing experience, where maximum braking is just part of the game, I've boiled brake fluid, had to back off to let my brakes come back to me, I've also locked the front and crashed, locked the front and not crashed--and a bunch of you have mountain bike experience, where flirting with the edge of traction also is just part of the game and having to judge your braking ability/feedback with the speed and conditions and how sharp you are feeling (reaction time)------so really, we all have this figured out and know how to deal with this stuff.

I guess the main thing is that between mountain biking and motorcycling racing, we really learn how to get the MAX braking from using front and rear, which frankly, a looooooot of bike riders don't do. I think its fair to say that some of us have a much higher comfort zone with speed, while being very aware of what speed we can do for the conditions and environment--but yes, things can change in just a few seconds, so yes there are dangers, but at least managing our brake systems properly and reducing the amount of brake fading is a good skill we've all learned (or at least be sensitive to noticing the signs of it happening and making adjustments to stay safe)

ps, and yes, when I've balled up the rubber of my rim pads, it was because I was descending Tour de France Pyrenees hairpin descents and riding like racing a motorcycle--last second max braking into the hairpins over and over, going faster downhill than cars around the corners etc--but thats the racer in me that just come out, still happens a bit as an old fart.
I have learned though to leave more margin of error, and to pay attention more to brake fade (and to my reaction times) and just simply back off when its better to do so.

Last edited by djb; 08-23-22 at 05:10 PM.