View Single Post
Old 10-31-22, 10:47 AM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts
Vintage Cycling dies a slow death...

Velo Orange was such an important resource, still can be, but look where they've headed with mainly overbuilt mountain-ish bikes, nothing's been lugged for a long while.
Rene Herse/ Compass, just posted their carbon, are you effing kidding me, frame up for orders. In a ghastly matte finish. Is Rene rolling in his grave. Is Singer laughing.
Rivendell-oh god maybe don't mention them. Grocery getters with childish names for nearly $3k. Everyone's helmetless pushing them up hills in black and white. WTF.
Harris Cyclery and many others like them have closed their doors for good. Lotsa blackwalls at vintage rides and shows. At least there's still Eroica.

While I lament the shift in these keepers of the flame, we still have Craigslist and EBay which I suspect will become invaluable as aforementioned resources continue to dry up for derailers that aren't black, rims that aren't matte, forks that aren't straight, and so on. Maybe vintage bikes will also become more valuable as they're seemingly less replaceable unless you get on a custom builder's list and wait 2 years. Yes, these are first world problems of a retro grouch, but it's kinda sad to see these trends from my personal view and watch the art and beauty of classic cycles slowly die and morph into just another device.