Old 01-18-22, 08:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Initial impressions: American Classic Timekeeper tires

I haven’t mounted or ridden them yet, but I just received a pair of AC Timekeepers that I wanted to share a couple of what I think are interesting insights on, things which I don’t feel have been addressed in any of the pro reviews that I’ve seen.

First off, these are not “supple casing” tires, because the sidewalls feel rather thick. Not grossly so, but thicker than Herse standard casing, for example.

AC don’t spec weight on the 25c tubeless, but mine weighed in at 266g. I did tare the retaining zip tie, so that is not included.

The tread thickness is not much. It doesn’t feel like much, anyway. I’m not expecting this is a high mileage tire.

The shoulder design has a very fine, grippy texture, which is nice and might be helpful when cranked over.

Flexing the tread caused a strange cracking or popping sound, like perhaps the breaker belt underneath was making noise. Any given section only cracked once, so it seems like it was some kind of settling in, but it struck me as unusual.

Road Hazard replacement policy of 50% off sounds good at first blush, but it seems to be a one time only deal, not a one time per damaged tire. It’s something, I guess.

They stink, like a mix of chicken and pig poo. Barnyardy. Again, super weird.

At $30, these could be the amazing tire deal of the century. I probably won’t mount them up until thing around here start warming, say a couple of months, but given the ongoing COVID weirdness, I wanted to get some while the gettin’ was good. I’ll definitely report back with ride impressions.

American Classic Timekeeper

Likes For chaadster: