View Single Post
Old 07-04-22, 06:47 AM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
My back doesn't take well to a position that upright on any rough surfaces (or any riding really). I can see where it works great for some folks though. I rode with narrow flat bars very low in my MTB racing days, but these days I find comfort with wider flat bars just a little higher on my newer MTB (front suspension only). I figure I could tour in reasonable comfort on that newer bike.

I do still ride the old rigid MTB with the very low (~4" below the saddle same as my road bike) bars, but it has drops on it these days. I ride moderate trails with it including some single track and have used it for a mixed surface tour and to run errands. I still like it.

I have toured on old road race bikes aggressive posture setups as well and found I liked that as well. At 71 I am not sure if I will start to get too old for that or am too old to change
LOL- I'm a old school narrow bar mtb /agressive road posture guy myself - All my bikes are low stemmed on the front end, except this, and for some ungodly reason it works. Took a bit of setup, and for the first time, I can look around and see everything when I ride. I noticed things this weekend I usually miss on other bikes, which was cool. Its another example of something (for me at least) completely counterintuitive to what I usually like that strangely works. I do prefer the more aggresive postures for most riding, especially climbing.

The biggest drawback it that if I wear my road kits on this bike while sitting straight up, I look like a complete fool. I saw myself in a store window reflection and busted out laughing at myself. This setup almost requires wearing a hawaiian shirt as a dress code!

- Don't get me wrong though- I'm hitting the road bike today, I'm ready to get back into my low slung setup!

Last edited by dualresponse; 07-04-22 at 06:51 AM.