cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
10 years? That's longer than many bikes here even stay in one's possession.
Seems like a win.

I drilled out a frozen river that was loose in a cannondale frame. Installing a new one was simple, it took 2min and a couple of spare nuts/bolts to tighten.
I will be haply to not think about it for the next decade. I will be happy if I still have the frame a decade from now, truthfully.
At least three of mine have been with me for about 15 years now. I like things to last, and once I've cleaned something up, the most I want to deal with are tire swaps and occasional polishing. Loose rivnuts a decade down the road? No thanks.

Either way, I prefer not to be the one to create a frame modification headache that might be regretted by a future owner, if I can help it.

Case in point, here's a Raleigh Super Grand Prix that I was forced to pick up in a lot from the LBS to get a Professional frame. Looks half decent...

...until you get to the water bottle cage carnage:

Yes, these were most definitely not in line. Someone tapped right through the tubing. In retrospect, grinding the lower hole larger and to the left might have worked to allow a rivnut to be installed centered in the frame.

I'm not saying one shouldn't do what they want to do with their own bike, but anyone not fully intending to live with the modification should at least consider the future owner before committing to this.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888: