Old 01-20-23, 07:08 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 402 Posts
First time "training" for a long time cyclist

I'm 50, long time rider - never really "trained". Most of my riding has just been riding along with no plan, mostly Zone 2 with random hard rides. My fitness has flatlined & I'm trying to take my modest FTP and bump it up a bit, would like to do some 50+ gravel races or just be better during my longer rides.

I'm doing the three weeks of increasing intensity, followed by a rest week. Just finished week two and am pretty beat up.

Doing 80/20 - zone 1/2 with one day of FTP intervals and one day of VO2 Max. Using both heart rate and power as metrics.

Been adding minutes to my FTP intervals and going from 3 to 4 VO2 max intervals.

The past two rides my heart rate vs power is off. My HR is higher, and my power is down. Z2 Power that used to be at 120-125 BPM is now 130-135BPM. Threshold power is 15-20 watts lower for the same heart rate.

I don't know what signs/clues to look for that will tell me if I am going to hard, too easy, when to rest. Most of the plans I read are for younger people, or for the pro's.

Is 3 weeks on/1 off too much for us older folks? Will 2 on/1 off provide results?

I just don't want to burn my time, nor do I want to over train.