Old 01-28-23, 12:27 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I take my setback very seriously. Have two custom posts with 65mm of it. And that SR MTB post with a mile of adjustable setback. The lugged steel Nitto post with quite a lot. So I could take it personally being told it is over-rated!

My reason is the bikes that have the best weight balance between the wheels for me have short chainstays. Long or even medium chainstayed bikes get light in back when I corner on rough downhill descents. If I want anything like tire clearance on the bikes that handle well under me when I have the bike fitted for my best position, I need a bike built with a steep seat tube angle (or a curved seat tube which I might ask for if I get another custom). So, with that 74 or 75 seat tube angle, I need real setback to keep from slamming ti rails (my preferred seats all have them) all the way back just to get a "normal" setback. I've already broken at least one slammed ti seat slamming the seat on a "regular" post.

In fact, I really like seatposts where the clamp is roughly centered on the rails. Now Ican do mid-ride seat placement adjusts and not ever hit or even get close to the limits.

As I said in an earlier post, I measure the setback off one of my other bikes to get the ballpark when I set up a new bike, then go ride with the wrenches. When I buy the frame (built up or nor) I draw it up on my CAD program and see what stem and post I need to but bars and seat where I need the. Set both, the bars and levers using the other bikes or the drawing and go for that ride. (No handlebar tape yet. Levers almost certainly have to move.)

I guess I should start feeling sorry for myself, leading this life with so many and such large setbacks but I'm committed to mustering on.
I went from the setback being the most important bikefit metric and still having constant issues and injuries to it being of almost no consequence, no issues and no injuries with added mileage.

I almost went and got a custom frame with a 70 degree seatpost.

My former touring bike had 72 degree seatpost angle, a 25mm setback seatpost and all the saddles I tried slammed as far back as they would go. With Selle SMP's that's quite far back.

My current road bike has a seatpost angle of 73 degrees and I'd honestly need a zero setback seatpost, because the saddle is slammed forward. But when I got the current seatpost there were only 18mm setback posts in stock so...

Now setback for me isn't as much a body balance issue anymore. It's more related to kinematics and muscle strain balancing. But the functional setback area I can use is wide indeed.

And the main changes I made was lowering the saddle height from what it should have been according to all the formulae of yore. Then I slammed my cleats all the way back and had to drop my seat a bit more.

I'm starting to think I could easily ride road bikes with even 74 degree seat angles. Luckily I have my dream bike so no upgrades necessary.