Old 06-01-13, 01:40 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Getting back to folder fanatic's OP, there is nothing wrong with being free of car ownership for years, then not being that way.

I've done it, too, although my same reasons are nowhere near the same as yours. However, a change can round out some understandings of both sides of the arguments. And there is nothing to stop you from changing back to being free of car ownership in the future; you still have your bikes and that's the main thing.

As to the ongoing costs of car ownership, much does depend on how much you drive, and what type of vehicle you drive. There is always bill shock when the insurance and registration renewals arrive, but divide the amount out on a weekly basis, and put aside that amount from your income to cover it for when the bills do arrive.

There are times when I would like to be back in a position where I can leave my vehicle in the garage and rely almost entirely on my bikes. But it's not that way at the moment, simply because I choose it not to be. And I don't feel guilty about it. But that may change into the future. It's same as my dream of going entirely to solar power and living "off the grid".

Fortunately, bike-jackings, and indeed car-jackings, aren't prevalent where I live. It may be getting that way in the nearest big city, but I wouldn't choose to live there anyway. Again, it's down to life choices, and in the end all those choices have to be balanced by each related one. You've balanced your ledgers...