Old 11-03-13, 08:05 PM
jacoblighter
Jacob Lighter

Bikes: Huffy Holiday 1970s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been a minimalist since I was about 18, although I never new there was anyone else like me, or that there was even a term for it until just a few months ago. All of my life I never really cared about "things"
although I did go through a phase in high school where I cared about how I looked alot because I was young and naive and thought girls cared about clothes and things...haha. Anyway now at the age of 21 I only have a handful of things, all of which serve a purpose.

acoustic guitar,
sound speaker,
a book riser(holds book at 45 degree angle for reading),
2 hardback books,
a kindle with over 200 books on it(really saves space, I recommend it)
a metal watch(will last forever as long as I replace the battery),
headphones, an ipod,
book reading light,
small faux- electric candle(replicates candle light, uses almost no electricity and is much safer than candles),
7 button up shirts, 5 solid black t-shirts, 3 pants, 4 underwear, socks and other small miscelaneous things(a tie, gloves, etc)
2 pairs of shoes, a bike,
a 20 year old car that I bought cash for $900,
a backpack, dufflebag, and a laptop
and a washboard and bucket( I handwash and Line-dry all of my clothing)

that is everything I own. The biggest(size wise) things are the guitar and the speaker(1x1.5x1) and both easily fit in a trunk or back seat of a car. everything else can fit in 1 duffle bag.

If I wanted to, I could put everything in the dufflebag and backpack(minus the guitar/speaker, bucket, which I would happily donate) and leave on a bus/bike/car/ whatever, whenever, wherever. I have no bills besides the $400 room I rent, the small gas bills for driving, and food; I do not own a cell phone or a tv.

I have nothing holding me down, and surprisingly it IS very hard to keep it that way. Things just sort of accumulate if you are not careful, even if you are like me and don't really value anything material; it sort of just happens and that is where things go wrong for alot of people, they don't catch it before it gets out of control.

wish you all the best on achieving a simple lifestyle, less is definitely more!

Last edited by jacoblighter; 11-03-13 at 08:13 PM.