View Single Post
Old 02-07-16, 12:20 AM
Koogar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I wouldn't consider the Supersonics an all-around tire. I'd consider it a race clincher. They are relatively thin and light.

I'd say that Grand Prix 4000s are an easy to find, all-around tire with a good reputation. The only caveat is that it maxes out at 120psi, so I think there are better options for heavy riders. But if you are normal weight or lighter, they are perfect.
I have used the GP 4000 in at least a couple of incarnations on the road for a bunch of years and agree that they're great tires.

With respect to the Supersonics, I may be the only one, but I have gotten great mileage out of them this past season at 170 lbs on an outdoor wood (i.e., smooth) track. They're noticeably stickier and more supple than the GP4000 and they lasted pretty much the entire season training and racing 2-3x a week. I have trouble finding them locally, so have to resort to Ribble et al.

As far as durability, I think it's important to differentiate between when the tire wears down to the cord or otherwise loses an acceptable profile (the GP 4000 squares off for me), versus simply hardening. I won't ride a smooth, hardened tire on the track (though I would on the rollers) anymore; replacing them is less expensive than x-ray copays. So I'd take the stickier tire over one with a compound that lasts long enough for me to hang it up in the garage at the end of the season to heat cycle between extremes daily - the latter will be tossed in the spring anyway.