View Single Post
Old 01-26-18, 07:30 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
my advice for chung/aerolab stuff.

If you're going to be doing it on an indoor track, just spend your first time trying to get good, repeatable data... don't jump straight into a vs. b testing.

Do a run as close to race pace as you can without it messing up your form (your goal is to eliminate anomalies) I almost always throw out my first and last lap and take the middle... so 6+ laps would be ideal. The more, the better. (up to the point that you start breaking down)

For your first time, repeat that 4-6 times (so 4x6 laps or something like that) and see if when you plug the data into goldencheetah if you get similar "hills and valleys" between each test. If you do, next time start testing a/b/a/a/b/b/a/b, etc. It takes time to get it right. I've scrapped entire sessions because points don't line up (maybe I was moving around too much, other riders on the track, temperature changed without me noticing, whatever)

Always try to keep a "baseline" run... something you go back to at the start of every time you test that you already have (trusted) data points on, that way you can look back against that and say "hmm, last time I did a baseline run it lined up at .xxx cda, this time it looks like it's .yyy, what was the difference in my protocol?" (and that allows you to adjust your results from that session to more accurate. Again, if you trust your protocol from before)

Good luck, you can learn a lot with the excellent tools out there given to us for free.

*edit* also, while it won't be as accurate as it would if you knew your exact crr, just plugging in a steady number (so long as you use the same tyres pumped up to the same pressure, in similar temp) into GC's crr section is a lot less work than trying to figure out crr and cda. While it'll mean your exact CdA # won't be as accurate, it's still more than sufficient for A vs. B testing imo.

Last edited by Morelock; 01-26-18 at 07:34 AM.