View Single Post
Old 08-10-18, 10:02 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JimiMimni
And yes, the left/right balance isn't perfect, however, very, very, very few people are more than 5% out of balance. And for what it's worth, there isn't a body of research that shows 50/50 symmetry is important. More power is important, regardless of how it's made. We have examples of riders that used some of our early L/R cranks and tried to keep a 50/50 balance, and got no better, and even worse in some cases. None of the athletes that made symmetry a priority improved, if that tells you anything. I don't have the citation on me, but Georgia Tech published a paper a while back to he effect that whatever your pedal stroke is naturally is the one that will produce the most power for you.

By the way, we DO make a track specific power meter. They've won at least a handful of Master's Worlds titles. But again, because of the way our meter works, we can't really capture the standing start high-torque, low-RPM stuff, which is a bummer.
Symmetry is raised in the discussion not as important for power generation, rather for power measurement when measuring only one side and averaging. Especially when testing has shown that the balance can fluctuate depending on your level of effort.

Years ago, there were reports of a dual sided unit under development at Stages. Can you elaborate why this wasn't followed through to market (I haven't looked at the product recently, so apologies if it has been since released).

PS full disclosure - I am an SRM fanboy and own numerous units both wired and wireless across my bikes including two track units. All bought second hand and all but one still going strong!