Old 07-07-21, 10:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nah, cannabis in any form -- recreational, medicinal, CBD, THC, etc. -- isn't a PED in any way that I can see. Unless being able to relax and sleep is considered a PED. CBD does help me sleep. But it makes me a bit too relaxed for workouts and bike rides.

There isn't even any consensus on it for pain relief. Some studies indicate it's a mild pain reliever in CBD form with just a small amount of THC, right around the current FDA limit. There's some speculation that the psychoactive effect from a higher concentration of THC helps folks relax, relieves anxiety and promotes sleep, which helps with healing and reduction of perceived pain.

I tried stronger THC concentrations a year or so ago before workouts and I couldn't feel any advantage or see any improvements in my data. But I didn't ride outdoors in that condition. I don't trust my equilibrium that much.

Alcohol seems to offer some benefits for workouts, probably from the carbs/sugars. But only in small amounts, for me. If I have more than one beer after a group ride before heading home I just feel lazy. But there may be something to the way the body uses carbs and sugars. There's a fairly brief sweet spot when we need to resume activity before the insulin spike. Well probably see more data soon as more pros are training with blood glucose monitors for near-real time info. Although the UCI has banned those devices during competitions, which is a shame because there's a potential wealth of data we'll never see.

Besides my prescribed thyroid meds and caffeine, the closest I get to using a PED is kratom, which I've written about in other threads on pain relief. I don't want to make outrageous claims for kratom, but in my experience it's far less risky than the nannies and ninnies in some government agencies, hyped by credulous journalists, would have us believe. It's the most effective analgesic I've tried that doesn't hinder my workouts (like prescription opiates and muscle relaxers did -- I have 'em but hate to use them because they make me feel sluggish). And it doesn't aggravate my autoimmune disorder like NSAIDs. If I take aspirin or ibuprofen, etc., too often I develop psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis symptoms. The skin between my fingers cracks almost down to the bone, and my skin elsewhere gets flaky, red and itchy. As soon as I discontinue NSAIDs the problem clears up.

I check my heart rate, BP and HRV with an app and heart rate monitor every day, including during workouts. I started using a small amount of kratom (much smaller than most kratom users report) in summer 2018 after I was hit by a car, breaking and dislocating my shoulder and re-injuring my neck. I'm confident *for myself* that it's safe *for me* and helped get me back into working out and healthy again.

I'd bet some pro cyclists are using kratom but haven't reported it or mentioned it because for now there's no testing available and, last I checked, hasn't been banned or regulated by the various doping nannies. Subject to change at the whim of the regulatory ninnies.