Old 12-15-21, 02:36 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
On some of the ebike forums there is some speculation that ebikes will replace cars for shorter distance errands and commuting. I think this is wrong for a number of reasons but one of the major ones is theft.
The average ebike is worth more than the average commuter bike and given the ebike market these days, they are enticing targets for thieves.
Some places in Europe you see covered, guarded parking lots for bikes. You pay a small fee, you get a ticket for your bike and you redeem it to claim, just like a coat check.
I have never seen one of these in North America, in deed most bicycle parking is pathetic in terms of security and convenience.
The local MEC has bike parking right outside the front door, but it is a notorious place for bike theft. They are always encouraging people to leave their cars at home, to take public transportation or ride their bikes.
Yet they provide nothing to make it safe, no security camera, no check in, nothing. They are willing to pay lip service to cyclists but not willing to do anything for security.
Businesses and municipalities could do more to help keep your bicycle secure, but they don't.

My ebike is an ugly conversion, I always take the battery off and lock it with a kryptonite and have been lucky so far.
The Bart transit stations in the Bay Area have BikeLink lockers. 5 cents per hour, secure locked parking. Also a couple Bart stations have staffed parking like you described, and one even houses a repair shop. It's possible and can work really well. Communities just have
to commit to making it happen (along with better infrastructure). I love the BikeLInk lockers and wish they had them everywhere - if they did I might not have bought a folding bike I can take into places..