View Single Post
Old 09-11-21, 11:54 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
The groupsets matter in exactly two ways, IMO, and these are very personal. But, asking these questions will help you get pretty close to what you desire.

1) Does it offer the gear range (in terms of gear inches) that you require? Or, can it be easily modified/upgraded to get there?
2) Maintenance, DIY. Are you able to do the maintenance required, or are you willing to buy the tools and learn?

With respect to point 1, there is no bike, or groupset, available today that I cannot utilize, but more than a few that geared too low for my taste, so I have to make sure I can make the necessary adjustments. In the case of a 1x gravel bike I bought in the spring, swapping the rear hub, and mounting a SRAM cassette instead of the Shimano offering that it came spec'd with, and bumping my chainring size got it right where I wanted it. With respect to point 2, I don't care for SRAM hydraulic brakes- use or maintenance, therefore, I don't buy SRAM equipped bikes.

Last edited by Badger6; 09-12-21 at 11:45 PM.