View Single Post
Old 12-06-09, 03:21 PM
OldPilot

Bikes: 2007 Giant OCR C3, 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple & 2002 Diamondback Response

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to get a new bike, I have a 1991 Specialized Sirrus triple currently (see attachment), I have narrowed my choices for a new bike to:

1. Cannondale Synapse 6 - the LBS is very helpful, frame looks very like it will be a smooth ride (everytime I go to take a test ride it rains). The componenets are Tiagra, I can choose compact or triple. The Cannondale seems to be the best aluminum frame of the bunch. $1229
2. Allez Compact Elite - same LBS as the Cannondale is willing to drop the price from $1550 to $1300 for a full 105 equipt bike. I got to ride the $850 Allez compact with Sora shifter/Tigra components. Only a couple mile ride comfortable, quick & light I can only imagine what the 105 components are like to ride (evertime I go to this LBS it rains) I am stationed at Ft. Monroe, VA so we are getting alot of rain this fall.
3. Fuji CCR3 - on sale at Performance $1570 (LBS) Ultegra/105 components, feels just as heavy as the Synapse 6. Is a "Carbon Fiber" frame as durable as the Synapse aluminum?
4. Scattante CFR Sport - made by Fuji for Performance (LBS - same as the Fuji CCR3) mixture of Ultegra/105/Forte, feels lighter than the Fuji CCR3.
5. Fuji Cross Comp - $1150 at Performance (LBS) 105/Ultegra components, doesn't seem that heavy with bigger tires (700x30) seems like I can go anywhere.
6. Motobecane Century Elite - looks like a great deal full Ultegra triple, but you have to order it online.
7. Motobecane Immortal Pro - looks like a great deal full Ultegra compact, but like the Century Elite you have to order it online. I have been reading other threads on Bike Forums & I have a question, why is there such hostility (hatred) for Motobecane bikes? Are they a poor quality bike? Should I take them off my list?

I want to get the best bike for the buck, my budget is about $1400 give or take $100. I have a son in college, a son in high school & daughter in junior high, now you know why I want to limit the initial purchase. My thinking is to get a bike that has a really great frame worthy of upgrading the components as my budget allows. It seems that many of the $2500 to $3000 bikes have the same frame as lower priced bikes (my budget) but with high end components & wheels, am I wrong here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
front brake.jpg (27.5 KB, 64 views)
bike side.jpg (29.5 KB, 74 views)
my bike.jpg (9.3 KB, 49 views)
crank.jpg (31.2 KB, 68 views)
bike lean.jpg (32.9 KB, 73 views)