Old 09-03-19, 11:53 AM
teacherlady

Bikes: Enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Cataract surgery, how to chose focal distance

I'm having cataract surgery in a few weeks, and am having trouble choosing a focal distance for the new lenses. I think I want monofocal lenses, because I have read that they have fewer complications.

Factors affecting my decision:
I've worn glasses since I was 7 years old. I don't mind wearing them; they are part of my identity.
I bicycle a lot. I'd like to be able to get not-too-expensive biking eyewear for protection against sun and wind.
I'm a text-based life form. I read a lot. I prefer paper, but I read on my desk-top, my phone, and my Kindle as well.
I knit and sew, and when I make mistakes, (which is often) I have to do very close work.
I travel, including bike touring for several months a year, and would like to keep the fuss and weight of extra glasses to a minimum. However, I need to read maps, including paper maps.

I'd love to hear what others decided, and particularly would like to hear from people who have regrets about what lenses they chose. I'd also like to hear how you manage juggling glasses during recovery and after.

I've read the discussion on focal distance from a few years ago, but I imagine there are new thoughts and experiences since then.

Thank you!