Old 09-04-19, 08:12 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I had high myopia both eyes(-12 diopter) and decided to get both eyes corrected for distance. From 50 years on however, I wore contact lenses with mono vision. Meaning, right eye could see far and left eye could be used for reading. I was a big fan of mono vision. So, after the cataract surgery I ask my eye doctor if I could get a contact lens for reading for my left eye and not have to get progressive glasses. He loaned me one for my left eye and the immediate problem is that you cannot change focus. So, I had a fixed reading distance and it was quite limiting. Meaning I was used to being able to see a computer screen and read a book with no problems. With the contact I could read a book, but I could not focus on a computer screen because I sat further back. Lots of things you do close up, require some kind of change in focus. So, I ended up with progressive glasses that allow me focus on things that are within arms reach. Since I had high myopia I was also more prone to retinal detachment, my doctor felt far vision in both eyes left me with the ability to see far if an eye had retinal problems in the future. In terms of the lense replacement type, I also had lenses with blue light blocking. Not sure if it helps, but my doctor felt I needed it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3496098/

I have settled in to using reading glasses for the computer(+1.5). The progressive glasses are not the best for scanning a large computer screen, I play computer games. For close work, I purchased these:

https://www.amazon.com/Donegan-OptiVISOR-Headband-Magnifier-Magnification/dp/B0015IS6K2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=donegan+optivisor+glass+lense&qid=1567650080&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I have a DA-5 and a DA-7. The DA-5 I use for cutting finger nails, and such. The DA-7 I use for antique clock repair. The DA-7 was based on what I could focus on before cataract surgery. As a high myopia I could see down to an inch in front of my eyes. I could take out splinters no sweat. Make sure you get the glass lens version, they are very good optically.

For riding a bicycle, I use sunglasses with a +1.5 bifocal, that I purchased at Walmart(under ten dollars). It lets me see the handle bars clearly and that is all I need riding. I got a clear pair also for riding at night with my bicycle light. I thought I would like not wearing glasses, but found that the progressive lenses let me do everything I used to be able to do. When driving I want to be able to see the dashboard and what is happening on the road. My wife on the other hand has had perfect eyes all her life and now that she needs reading glasses will not go with progressives. My older neighbors are like this also, they are always looking for their reading glasses when they need to do close work.

Finally, at 3 years out I had to have YAG surgery as I got 'second cataracts'. I was not aware of this condition until after the cataract surgery, when my optometrist brought up the procedure. I hemmed and hawed on getting this done, but in the end it was totally worth it.

Last edited by themp; 09-04-19 at 08:46 PM.