Old 09-07-23, 07:45 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 3,031 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My recently developed L/R power imbalance has been on my mind, so, this thread is quite interesting. I don't have any answers but only questions.

If my L/R is 45/55, does that suggest a lost of 10% at threshold? (due to left leg slacking off)

What is related or at least coincident time-wise is a certain pain where the left glute connect up by your butt to the greater trochanter. As power increases into Tempo, that area starts to get sore almost like a cramp and I can only do a threshold effort for perhaps 10 minutes before it becomes very uncomfortable. I had had an accident and when they released me from the trauma center, despite complaining of hip pain and asking how the heck was I going to walk, pain in the left hip was not going away. Long story short, the greater trochanter was also fractured, an Ortho surgeon looked at my CT from the trauma center and showed it to me. He had been pretty casual about it, like, well, you have a bum leg now.

Assuming the attachment of the glute to the greater trochanter either developed scar tissue or perhaps calcification, would a chiropractor be who to help me rather than a medical doctor? PT? Stay the hell is zone 2? It isn't really a medical problem not be to able to ride a threshold. Maybe a Chiro?
You know the caveat that I have no medical expertise and that you should find somebody who does, but this sounds like it might be trochanteric bursitis, which I've had before. In my case, I had an injury from a minor bike-fall that seemed like it was no big deal, and then some months later the pain developed. Pain symptoms on the bike were similar to what you describe

In my case, PT exercises helped some, and eventually it mostly went away. Sometimes I still feel it.

I hope you find some way to get relief.
Likes For MinnMan: