View Single Post
Old 01-30-24, 02:34 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 989 Posts
I am of the mindset to let the price "come to me" and not try to harangue the seller, though that's partly because I don't like being a difficult person, regardless if driving a hard bargain is acceptable enough. Those asking prices are, in my experience, not the worst by a long shot. Maybe because I am fully setup to renovate/restore bicycles, I don't balk too much at that asking price, or...wouldn't if it was something I was looking for in my size. Yeah, those bikes will need a full going through ideally, but you could do just enough to get it running safely-ish for not much more than asking price.

Just like off-base sellers, we know that there will always be some buyers that have an inaccurate view of what things "should" cost and I won't ever try to convince them otherwise. It's 2024 and stuff is more expensive whether we like it or not. Deals are still out there. I like that Fuji, but there's "rideable condition" and then there's "safely rideable condition" which involves new brake calipers (dual pivot) and pads, etc. All three of those bikes are not worth much, even when fully and correctly overhauled. They'll be plenty serviceable and can be enjoyed, but their "performance envelope" will be modest unless components are upgraded.

But I guess, to answer your question, I do see a lot of overpriced bikes out there that need a suite of work to function properly, or need to be redone. I've bought plenty of "ready to ride, all tuned up" bikes that were marginally rideable or needed cosmetic work and new bar tape to be viable "ready to ride" bicycles. Or maybe that's just me who always sells a cleaned up, fully tuned and test ridden bike no matter the price point. If I'm going for a bike, it's usually the frame, and I make sure I'm happy with the price I pay even if all the other components are a loss. Big frames (ones in my size) in good shape with the features/tubing/characteristics I'm looking for are hard to come by, so that makes me a bit more flexible on the price I'll pay.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: