Old 08-09-22, 08:42 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Jedneck
Anything from short flat to 5 mile average 9%. N short 20% If i cant peddle up them i go into 2 ft gear. Have yet to find a grade that 2 ft gear dont work on
5 miles at 9% is insane!
What is 2ft gear?

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
I'm next to the foothills. I have .3mi of 15+% gut puncher within a mile of me.. and the major climbs like Diablo,Hamilton and Tam within 60min drive. Not to mention dirt climbs that are worse.
.3 mile of 15% seems attainable with practice.
15% is no joke, on the other hand.

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I've got one I like to do from time to time that is 3 or maybe 3.5 miles at an average of 8%.
I've done short climbs, like a mile or less, at 12 or maybe 15% gradient. I have no trouble climbing 4 or 5% for many miles. But my threshold for enjoyment with a combination of distance and steep climbing is probably the one mentioned above.
3 miles at 8% sounds like hell on earth.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Climbing steep grades requires practice. And pacing. And adequate gearing. And patience. And some technique.
If you're forced to slalom across the road, your gearing is too high, or you don't have adequate standing skills.
When climbing a very steep grade out of the saddle, it should feel like you are slowly climbing stairs. If it feels like you're running up stairs, you're probably going harder than you can sustain.
Take it slow.
Whoa, it never occurred to me to stand up out of the saddle.
I am able to sit and climb in lowest gear and switch back for relief.
I did that as a kid on a BMX bike but never on my mountain bike on roads.
I will try that next time and see if its easier.

Originally Posted by Random11
My daily ride is rolling hills with 10% max grades, but short (less than half a mile, and most shorter than that).
Is this a commute to work?
10% max on 1/2 mike sounds like a great ride.