View Single Post
Old 07-25-05, 09:46 PM
farrellcollie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have now ridden the downtube 20 miles (Sunday and Monday) in rather hot St. Louis weather (bike was fine - just too hot to ride much for me - 100 degree temps). It is a nice bike so far and I like the way it handles and fits me - gears all seem to work well - no slipping or chain dropping or flat tires. It is somewhat heavier than the dahon speed 8, although I can pick it up and carry it without trouble (I have not tried the carrying bag yet) and the grips on the handlebars are not as wide - so someone with large hands might find it uncomfortable. I like the end bars (I think that is what they are called) - but again - they are rather small and I have placed them in a way others might not - but I am comfortable with them. The downtube is less twitchy or sensitive (I cannot think of another word to describe it ) than the dahon - whether from weight or other I don't know - I like the ride of the downtube better - but I am used to a heavier hybrid - not a road bike (which - when I borrow one from a friend - also seems more sensitive or twitchier to me). I found that the back wheel did not skid or slide like on the dahon when I go fast around corners or into turns and downtube can take traffic bumps and low curbs better in my opinion. This is not to say dahon is not a good bike (it was certainly a more expensive bike and componants may be better, and the folding mechanisms are nicer - but dahon has been in the shop for chain/gear problems- not as useful for commuting but possibly not as big a deal to someone who is better at bicycle mechanics than I am) and I will use it for certain things - but downtube does fit my short fire hydrant shaped body better and possibly my riding style. It does ride very much like the KHS F20iv If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will.

Last edited by farrellcollie; 07-25-05 at 10:11 PM.