Old 09-13-16, 12:01 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Dan,

I saw a post for a BOB trailer with a 16" electrically driven wheel. Now I'm getting seriously interested. It looks to me like you could attach the BOB to any bike (or trike) that has a QR rear wheel but, of course, I don't have any experience with either BOB trailers or e-assist. Does this sound like a good idea to you? I'm thinking that Mrs. Grouch might have such a booster in her future.
You can hitch a BoB to any axle with the appropriate BoB Nuts as long as the axle width supports it. I can pull my BoB with QR axles with the BoB skewer with integrated bobbins.
I also have 3/8 x 26 BoB Nuts on my Alfine hub, and 13/32 ones on my Sturmey Archer 8 speed. I believe they are also available in m10 x 1 threaded version.
My 3 and 5 speed Sturmey Archers are too narrow for the hitch to work properly without bending the hitch yoke, so I don't pull it with those bikes.
One thing I would strongly advise is to have a kill switch immediately at hand on the handle bar in case of controller malfunction.