Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Thanks, maybe I will soonish. Any insider tips? I can read some generic articles online. I get that there's a fast start, and that they're typically an hour (or so). Any ideas on which event to select? I'm about 4.5 - 4.6 w/kg at threshold but my strenghts are really pursuity-type efforts and over/under (TTT and breakaway). Should I start out in B? Based on their self-selected categorization I'm an A, but I don't think I'll be winning many races if it turns out to be a long constant effort.
Don't start in the B's...you'll demolish them. Get your Zwift Power account setup before you start racing, as your races won't "count" unless you have it already going (if you care). The starts are like crits for the first few minutes, and just like crits you should do everything in your power (lol) to stay with the lead group. If you get dropped, catching back on is H A R D if not impossible. On a flat course, once a rhythm is established you'll just sit in z2/3 in the pack with little pops when even the slightest uphill hits. On a hilly course, you'll be full-on threshold or worse on the climbs with very little effort on the descents.

Here's a hilly B race vs a flat A race. I solo'd away on the B race with ease, but there's no way I'd be able to get away on the flat A race, even though it was a significantly-easier race.

Hilly B:

Flat A: