Thread: winter tires
View Single Post
Old 12-27-20, 06:27 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
With that said, with the studs falling out/breaking off, will this cause air loss or tire deflation or can you still ride on these tires? Only asking so I'll know what to expect and look for while on the trails from these tires.
The studs falling out won't cause any trouble. I only lose 5 or 10 studs over the life of the tire, which isn't enough to affect their effectiveness. I haven't seen any studs actually breaking off.

The image of the inside of the tire shows where the real problem is. When the studs and their corrosion products have worn through to the inside of the carcass, flats aren't far behind. I have been able to eliminate flats while extending the life of each tire by installing a "Mr. Tuffy" tire liner. Here are some more images...

This tire is shot. I wouldn't use it even with a tire liner.

This is after two winters on the rear wheel with the tire liner removed. I'll use it one more season with a tire liner.

Here are two of the eight pieces of double-sided foam tape used to hold the tire liner in place during installation. The tape is rated for "outdoor use". The red layer is removed before the tire liner goes in.

Installing the tire liner at the first sign of studs wearing through the carcass. This is usually after the first season on the rear or the second season on the front. YMMV.