View Single Post
Old 05-17-21, 01:02 AM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by montclairbobbyb
I realize I've been talking about selling off most of my bike collection for awhile (on this and other forums), when suddenly I came to a moment of clarity... and I actually DONATED (yes, gave away) 18 of my bikes, some of which I vowed would never leave my stable... (ok, I'm being a bit dramatic perhaps)... to a GREAT COMMUNITY organization in Asbury Park, NJ called Second Life Bikes. If you're local to NJ you probably know about it... If not you should. Kerri Martin founded this "store" a good 10 or so years ago, and has been teaching local kids in the community how to fix and care for (and ultimately work their way towards owning) a bike from the store. The work they do for the community is simply awe-inspiring, and I am SO HAPPY (weepy-eyed, actually) to bestow 18 of my favorite things to these folks in hopes they will ALL find homes with someone for whom a bike can REALLY make a difference in their life (JUST as it has for so many of us lucky ones).

I'm not trying to score pats on the back or a place in bicycle heaven... Kerri Martin and her team have already got that well-covered. No, for me it's simply about being around these bicycles (and among a community of bike lovers like this forum)... The hours I spent restoring, building, riding, showing them off to anyone who would stop me to talk about them... all these things have brought me such great joy... AND THAT ALONE is enough. But to know there will be someone out there who will find one of these gems and make it his/hers... that's every part as much of the true joy of restoring classic and vintage bikes.

I don't even want to start listing what I donated... only to say if you're in the market for a project bike or something that is ready-to-ride, Second Life Bikes may have one for you (because they also have bikes for sale, to help fund their great organization). They also accept donations of frames, wheels, parts, accessories... and TIME... If you like to wrench and fix up bikes (well duh, stupid assertion), Second Life can ALWAYS use a hand.

Please check em out. I love these folks.

Peace,
Bobby Birmingham

​​​​​​​
Wow !
Good for you !
Reckon karma will pay you back ten fold !
I have been given , and given away a fair few machines over the years .
Either end of the deal it is a good feeling .

HAve fun !
Be safe !
Ride bike(s)