Old 09-03-21, 05:56 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
While I skipped the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred this year, my calendar reminded me that Friday was the sixth anniversary of resuming cycling after a 30+ year hiatus. Usually I aim for a ride-my-age/metric century thing. I did half that distance with a casual group ride Friday evening, stopped at home for an ice pack on my neck and percussion massager to loosen up the spasms, then headed back out and finished with 66 miles.

Can't say it was fun after the 50 mile mark. My neck was aching so much I could barely hold up my head the final few miles home. Barring a medical miracle I doubt I'll ever attempt another full century ride. Or (gasp) switch to a recumbent. Or fill a spare water bottle with diluted pain meds to swig throughout the ride. I did take about 300mg total CBD over the course of several hours Friday night and while it's relaxing, it's not really an effective pain reliever for me, at least not for pain over level 5 or 6. It's roughly comparable to a fistful of ibuprofen or excedrin, minus the stomach upset and side effects from taking too many NSAIDs. I do have prescription muscle relaxers but there's no way I can ride a bike after taking those -- my legs turn to jello.

But I might try for the 50 or metric century version of the HHH next year, we'll see.
The Metric looked like a good route. Same directional loop as the 100, but a shorter distance. You'd still get the essence of the full ride.