Old 10-30-20, 11:39 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageRide
My my, I had a suspicion that, due to the binding headset issue the problem might lie with the steering column. Once I disassembled everything it was quite obvious that indeed the column itself was the culprit. It starts to bend about 1" above the lower race and looks to be a good 1/2" out of alignment which explains not being able to get the play out of the headset and the binding as well. In fact there is a gouge line as well so hopefully I can properly brace the forks, perhaps insert a rod through the opening under the fork crown just below the bend and then insert another snug fitting pie or rod from the threaded end and bend it slowly back after measuring how much etc.

I am just eyeing things initially but the forks look fine and this should simplify matters. The real question is, how did it happen? Kind of odd if you ask me having the steering column out by that amount it would have made steering rather odd for one thing. If anyone has suggestions on realigning it would be appreciated!
I spotted the bent fork pretty fast. Probably why it sat and rotted.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-30-20 at 11:42 PM.