Old 06-15-21, 08:32 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
First thing I think of is "pulley knock". When the guide pulley is so close to the larger cog's underside there's not enough room for the chain to fit without the pulley being "pushed" away. The resulting noise as each link pushes on the pulley is what is heard. This Campy der has a cage pivot spring tension adjustment, reducing this pivot's spring strength will let the B pivot spring pull the der further away from the cog. It also looks like you might have enough chain length to remove one pair of links, this will make a big difference with guide pulley/cog clearances. Which way to go is easy. Do the cage spring tension reduction first as it's more easily reversed.

Hard to know about the whirring sound. It could be the ratchet making it's normal noise. Or there could be a "rubber" seal that wants lube. When was the last time this hub and freehub were overhauled?

I would thread back in the cable adjuster and re set the initial cable tension at the anchor bolt. Then go back to the adjuster for the fine tuning. I have seen many ders that when used with the adjuster completely out of it's threads have thread damage and sometimes need a thread chasing repair before the adjuster can be re installed.

BTW- It looks like you are running Al aftermarket pulleys. There's a reason why metal pulleys stopped being the factory spec decades ago. They make more noise. Andy