Old 09-12-21, 08:07 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Make sure you investigate and find out why you flatted each time. Don't just assume it was a puncture from a road hazard.
You need to identify the cause of your punctures and eliminate that cause. A common cause is tiny wires from radial ply tires. Those tiny little wires can be hard to find and, even once found, can be the very dickens to pull out of your tire. You are doomed to suffer frequent repeat punctures until you find and remove the offending wire.

If you make a habit of installing your replacement inner tubes with the valve stem adjacent to the label on your tire, you will be able to see if your punctures are happening in the same place relative to your tire. If that's the case, explore that portion of your tire very carefully. I have taken to carrying a small needle nose pliers with me just for removing radial wires from my tire after a puncture.

I would guess that Salt Lake City is in the goat head thorn belt. I've heard about them but, living in the St Louis area, we thankfully don't have them. You might be well served to ask at a local bike shop what they suggest for minimizing goat head punctures.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 09-12-21 at 08:37 PM.
Likes For Retro Grouch: