Old 11-17-21, 07:15 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
For your purposes I'd invest in very good tires before the wheels. When I had my Volpe I changed out the tires that came with it(don't remember..stiff..felt like riding on wet sand even on fast blacktop) for a set of Voyager Hypers(37mm)..yikes. Felt like a new bike...that thing was fast & fun to ride. Very comfortable do-anything bike. I used it on light trails as well as for touring. Sadly, Hypers are no longer made, but there's lots of good tires out there. I've made a couple tire orders within the last year+ from Bike24 in Germany. Good selection, good pricing, and most often..they have inventory..which has been an issue in recent times.

(even if you went with new wheels..you'd still need good, fast rolling tires..try the tires first and see where you net out)