Old 12-16-21, 10:19 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by L134
I think maybe one reason I wasn't wowed by them is that it didn't seem like going from 28 to 30 improved ride quality/comfort. If I remember correctly, I probably started with pressures of 72 rear, 60 front - what I ride my Veloflex at - and then gradually dropped from there to see how low I could go. I want to say that I went maybe as low as 55/45 and decided that was too low. When I next mount them, I would probably start at 65/55?

Most of the miles were on Mavic Reflex rims on my Lippy touring ("sport touring"?) bike, then some on a Trek 720, and lastly a few miles on Velocity Major Tom on my Atlantis. No clearance issues at all on these bikes (Trek and Atlantis with fenders). I also have a Bruce Gordon and a Bianchi and suspect there might be clearance issues on those but I have no real motivation to try. Most of the miles were recreational with a handlebar bag and some stuff or commuting with a bit more stuff. To satisfy my own curiosity before buying more, my most recent miles were on the rear of my Atlantis heavily loaded as for an extended, fully self-supported tour with some pavement, gravel, dirt and sand miles - just to see. I probably pumped it to 80 psi and was impressed enough with how the badly worn tire managed that I made my purchase of 3 more. I decided to convince myself that my previous puncture issues were merely bad luck. If I decide to use them for touring, I'd probably start at 80/75? This reminds me, I mentioned I don't think they are latex tubes - two reasons: first, they seem to hold air better; and secondly, when I opened them up to patch the tubes, the tubes just didn't have the stretch that my other latex tubes have had. I think I was unable to find anything on the internet that said what kind of tubes are in the tires. I also have some Schwalbe Racing Ralph tubulars and, again, think they do not have latex tubes. I have wondered if this may have something to do with no being wowed by the ride?
thanks for sharing your thoughts on tire pressures.
I have not ridden my Major Tom/Chris King wheelset yet. I guess touring with them is something I had not thought about.
Also, I would imagine your point of reference of a really great tubular tire is most definitely referenced to the Veloflex latex tubed ones you have used where the Veloflex ones I would imagine are some of the best.