View Single Post
Old 09-14-20, 10:34 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I always weigh the bikes I work on(rehab) as received and complete, ready to ride , with all components and any extras I feel like installing. The lightest bike I have ever weighed was a Vitus 979? with aluminum frame that came in at just about 20 lb ready to ride. Next was a lugged steel Bianchi at about 22.5 lbs. I just weighed a Lemond Tourmalet at about the same. Most light bikes have a frame that weighs about 4.5 -5.0 lbs. The total weight depends on the gear you install on it. If I get an older bike with average(heavy) gear I can often reduce the ready to ride weight by 3-5 lbs. Substituting a Suntour Gt derailleur at 450 grams for a cyclone at 183 grams and an old set of steel wheels for newer aluminum ones , an aluminum bar and stem for old steel, and an aluminum crank for an old cottered steel one and there you go. From there on out you get into weight weenie territory.