View Single Post
Old 05-16-22, 07:28 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozonation
For those of you that have had the opportunity to own and/or ride a variety of folders... how would you compare the ride quality between a Brompton, a Dahon (or that style of fold), a Bike Friday, and say, a mini-velo.

I've ridden a Brompton for almost a decade, and I love the fold and compactness, but lately, I'm feeling it's got just a little a bit too much flex or play. Not awful but it's been more noticeable lately. I'm wondering if a Dahon - particularly the mid-level models - might offer a bit more stiffness with its different fold. I'm interested in a more "supple" (referencing Path Less Pedaled) ride with larger tires, which of course, you cannot get on the Bromptons, but you can on a Dahon, a Bike Friday, or other folders. Lately, I've seen some positive reviews on a mini-velo, like the Velo Orange Neutrino, which seem to offer more latitude in terms of tires, better handling, etc. Also, I'm realizing that for the most part, unless I'm doing a lot of traveling, just the capacity to fold or being smaller to handle as opposed to the smallest fold possible might be sufficient.

Any commentary appreciated. Thanks.

Ride quality depends on a lot of factors.
Age, weight, ride experience and preference of riding type/posture.
So me at 55kg and used to road bike positions will be quite different to a 85kg guy who only rides upright bikes.

Some rider differences aside, generally all the bikes can ride rather comfortably give the right size for the rider with appropriate choice of contact points.
With contact points, I mean parts of the bike that the rider is in contact with.
Namely : handlebar and bar tape; saddle and seatpost; pedals; by extension it also includes the tires and pressure.

If a bike has got some sort of suspension (ie. the moultons, bromptons, birdy ), then there will be some 'bob' during the climbs or when mashing at the pedals in a high effort situation (eg. sprint )
The Dahon bi-fold bikes actually feel better (ie. stiffer) than the suspended ones in that respect.

I do find larger wheeled bikes roll over more road irregularities easier, so thats a plus point that a small wheeled bike will find harder to win over.
Generally speaking, one can make any folding bike type stiffer or more compliant with the choice in contact points.
Eg.
Stiffer = hard suspension (or rigid bike), higher psi
Compliant = double bar tape, redshift stem, sprung saddle, long carbon seatpost, suspension seatpost, lower tire pressure.