View Single Post
Old 05-04-16, 12:42 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Surprised that half of BikeForums is quietly critiquing a website that has not seen an update since 2002, while the other half of BikeForums is forming a protest movement against basic principles of web design.

This is great.

If you want to see what CGOAB could be, go to Backpacking Light's website.
I think you are missing the point to a degree. I appreciate good web design and agree that CGOAB is not at the cutting edge or even close. However, the site is largely user created almost like a wiki site. It is simple to navigate, post items and search. It has tons of information. I do agree that it could be improved but you could say that about anything. One design feature that frustrates me is having to click through so many pages when reading a journal. Why not just make it one page? I'm sure there's a reason for that, however, such as accommodating tourers who add a page at a time during their trips.

In contrast, I have been to many "well designed" websites that suck in many other ways. They change the design so often that it's hard finding content and various features don't work if you don't have the latest version of some software. The BackpackingLight site that you linked seems to be more of a commercial website with more advertising and writing/photos by professionals. There's nothing wrong with that, but I doubt if they would accept an article by Joe Schmoe about his bike trip along the C&O Canal or Katy Trail -- not edgy enough.